Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Mariani Landscape

This summer I am an intern with Mariani Landscape.

Mariani is a family owned and operated company that is celebrating 50 years of business this year. It has been a successful 50 years, as the company is the largest residential design / build company in the nation turning 36 million dollars in revenue last year.

We work primarily on the north shore of Chicago (a very wealthy area), although we are growing into other area's as well. The company has three major divisions: design, construction, and maintenance, which I hope are rather self explanatory.

I am doing a maintenance sales internship. Within the maintenance department there are 14 client representatives. As mentioned above, my mentor is one of these 14 people.

In a perfect scenario after a design / build job is complete it is transitioned over to the maintenance department and we look after it for many years to come. A client rep. is the person that sells and coordinates maintenance of the property as well as any enhancements (anything above and beyond the normal maintenance) to a property.

To see some of the work that we do here in Chicago, visit marianilandscape.com and click on portfolio. They do a better job of portraying our work than I could here.

Before coming to Chicago I thought that landscape maintenance was just mowing and blowing. I have been shown otherwise. With great attention to detail and keeping properties in their peak condition, I now broadened my horizons to now considering the option of working in landscape maintenance, if it is done the Mariani way!

During my time here in Chicago I hope to define what I would like to do, as far as what aspect of the industry I would like to pursue when I graduate next April. I am going to spend time with representatives of all of the departments of Mariani and ask them all the questions that I can think of to try and figure the ever going question of 'what do I want to do when I grow up?'

No comments: